Why Drip Irrigation Makes Sense in Alfalfa Production
Yield increases of 25-40% whether you are producing Alfalfa to sell to dairies or growing your own to feed your cows - can you afford not to give drip irrigation a serious look?
These yield increases are achieved by:
- More stems per crown
- Improved uniformity of water applied
- Less crop stress with improved ability to meet the crop's daily demand
- Improved soil moisture in soil status increases uptake of vital nutrients
For more information on drip irrigation in Alfalfa:
- Drip Irrigated Alfalfa
- Why Drip Irrigation for Alfalfa?
(written by Todd Rinkenberger and Dennis Hannaford)
- Alfalfa Production Manual
- Western Farm Press - August 2013
- Case Study: Subsurface Drip Irrigation on Alfalfa
- Irrigation and Fertilization Recommendations for Alfalfa
- Drip Irrigation on Alfalfa AgNet West Radio Network Interviews with Netafim's Todd Rinkenberger
Answers at Your Fingertips
Netafim wants to make sure you have the right answers to questions related to growing alfalfa - from making the right irrigation decisions to managing rodents to maintenance tips. The following articles address a variety of topics to help you grow a high quality, high yielding alfalfa crop.
- Timely Rodent Control Protects Driplines in Alfalfa Fields
- Alfalfa Tissue Sampling Targets Plant Needs
- Staying Ahead of Soul Moisture Levels During Summer is Critical to Improved Yields
Right From the Growers Mouth
Read first hand testimonials from growers who are successfully using drip irrigation on their Alfalfa crop and achieving higher yields.
- Alfalfa Production with Subsurface Drip Irrigation Brochure
(includes drip irrigation success stories from 4 alfalfa growers)
- Netafim Drip Irrigation Alfalfa Success Story - Seth Rossow
- Netafim Drip Irrigation Alfalfa Success Story - Steve Maddox
- Netafim Drip Irrigation Alfalfa Succes Story - Roger Cornwell
- Netafim Drip Irrigation Alfalfa Success Story - Richie Gunter
- Netafim Drip Irrigation Alfalfa Success Story - Russell Schafer
- Netafim Drip Irrigation Alfalfa Success Story - Nico Slabber
Alfalfa grower, Randy McGee is the winner of the 2015 Southeastern Hay Contest. He credits his Netafim subsurface drip irrigation system not only with playing a big role in producing his high-quality forage but also for doubling his yield.
Click here to see a video of Randy's story.
Netafim partners with UC Davis to showcase Subsurface Drip Irrigation (SDI) in Alfalfa at TeVelde Dairy in Hanford, CA. Speakers provided growers with a look at the latest advancements in SDI along with installation and irrigation scheduling tips. Nico Slabber, TeVelde Dairy's Farm Manager explains how their alfalfa yield per acre has increased significantly with SDI.
Watch: UC Davis Alfalfa Field Day video
What About Rodents?
It is no secret that pocket gophers cause yield loss/crop damage in Alfalfa. They can also damage subsurface drip irrigation systems. As most growers are aware, there is no silver bullet for managing rodent pressures in any crop. What we recommend is a layered approach to managing rodents to minimize impact on yield and your subsurface drip irrigation (SDI) system:
- Site Selection
- Site Preparation
- Trapping (can be effective in low population densities)
Click on the icon below to learn more.
Drip Payback Wizard
In only 4 steps you can calculate your estimated ROI for a drip irrigation system for Alfalfa. You can also calculate how many additional acres could be irrigated with the water conserved by drip. Click on the Drip Micro Payback Wizard icon below to get started.
For More Information
Netafim USA can answer all your questions about subsurface drip irrigation for Alfalfa production.
To find the nearest Netafim USA Dealer Relationship Manager, visit our Support Team page.
To find the nearest Netafim USA Authorized Dealer, visit our Dealer Locator page.